Holster Position

This is a discussion page set up for CFDA Certified Range Officers and those interested in attending or setting up a CFDA Range Officer Course.
The Irishman
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: The Deputies

Holster Position

Post by The Irishman » February 21st, 2015, 8:25 pm

A question for the RO's

I have been asked a several times now about the legal holster position, what some shooters are seeing is a growing trend of the holster being moved forward, positioned and tied over the front of the leg.

Per the 8th Edition Page 16 top paragraph: "The Over the Belt Style Holster Will be Worn on the Side of the Hip and Leg Only"

Page 23 Item 5: Positioning The Holster Anywhere Other Than The Side Of The Leg Is Not Allowed.

The question is if the holster is on the front of the shooters leg, is the shooter in violation of the "Side of the Leg Only" rule?

Holsters can be bent, reformed, twisted, etc. so that it is across the front of the leg, I recently have seen some holsters that were reformed so that the pouch was extended out from the shooters body, so there was over a 1" gap between the holster skirt and the gun belt at the top where it comes over the top of the gun belt, which looks similar to a fender type rig, fender rigs are not allowed.....

I would like to hear the other RO's thoughts about what constitutes a legal holster position, I have always viewed the Side of the Leg rule to be just what it says, side of the leg ONLY, to my understanding the rule is in place to keep shooters from placing the holster on the front of the leg.....

I hope to see you all on the line soon....

The Irishman
WWRonin
Tenderfoot
Sanctioned Club: Orygun Gunfighters

Re: Holster Position

Post by WWRonin » May 1st, 2015, 2:13 am

Was there a resolution to this question, Irishman?
the Rev. W. W. Ronin
aka Gregg Townsley
Western author and fast draw shooter
CFDA Life #41

Founder: Orygon Gunfighters
http://www.greggtownsley.com
Deacon
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: Big Iron Shooting Cl

Post by Deacon » May 1st, 2015, 7:57 am

I do believe you are correct about the side of the leg. I like the test of placing the index finger into the trigger guard and touching the middle of you leg or the seam of the pants this test should be done with the shooter stand up and not in the shooting position. This is a call that should be made by the hand judge the same as if the shooter has the toe of the boot just over the line. If the shooter comes to the line with the holster in the correct position but them shifts the holster to the front of the leg before the set command is given this should be called by the hand judge and the range master should make the proper call.
Deacon
The Irishman
Seasoned

Post by The Irishman » May 2nd, 2015, 10:52 pm

Deacon and Ronin

Not really, there is a main part of the rule, which states that the holster can't be position anywhere but the side of the leg, which would mean that the holster can not be positioned over the front of the leg, regardless of the placement of the trigger guard, then another part of the rule states that a finger through the trigger guard must be at or behind the pants seam/ center of the leg....The question was brought to me at the Worlds, I didn't have a good answer, my first answer was the holster can not be anywhere except of the side of the leg, for me if the holster is over the shooter front pants pocket, that would not be the side of the leg, regardless of how the holster is bent and reshaped so that the trigger guard is positioned at the seam of the pants.....

Because they asked me about it I thought is would be a good discussion for the RO section........
The Irishman
Seasoned

Post by The Irishman » May 3rd, 2015, 10:13 am

As an example:

Is this a legal position?

The holster is tied over the front of my leg and right front pocket, as you can see the holster is covering the most of the right side front pocket...I have been in CFDA since 2008, it is to my understanding the intent on the rule was to keep all holsters on the side of the hip and leg only, which is still stated in the rule book. It was to my understanding of the rule, the holster has to stay on the side of the leg and the trigger guard is the reference point of how far forward on the side of the leg the holster can be, but doesn't allow the shooter to have the holster on the front of the leg......note that I am fairly thin person. Please note also I do not wear my holster in this position.

The Irishman

Last edited by The Irishman on May 21st, 2015, 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mongo
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: San Juan Shootists

Post by Mongo » May 7th, 2015, 7:24 pm

What the photo appears to show is a shooter wearing a canted holster on the side of their leg. This is legal if these conditions are met:

The holster is legal to begin with.

You can put your finger thru the trigger guard of the gun and touch the seam of the trousers or the middle of the side of the leg if there is no seam as in the case of a lady wearing a skirt or dress.

The cant (angle) of the boot is not greater than 20 degrees as measured with a protractor.

I like talking to myself cause I always get the answer I want from Me!

We ride for the brand!

CFDA Life #57
US Marshal San Juan Shootists
email:sanjuanshootists@hotmail.com
Visit us at http://www.sanjuanshootists.com
The Irishman
Seasoned

Post by The Irishman » May 7th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Mongo,

So the holster can be on the front of the leg and still be a legal position? Regardless of the statement in the rule book that holsters will be worn on the side of hip and leg only.

Please confirm for clarification because that doesn't make any sense when the rule book uses the term "Only" I am trying to understand how the finger through the trigger guard that gives you how far forward the holster can be on the shooter leg, I do not see anywhere in the rule book that allows the holster to be on the front of the leg based on a finger through the trigger guard, I see just the opposite, the finger through the trigger only states how far forward on the side of the leg the holster can be, but the holster must remain on the side of the leg.

The Irishman
Mongo
Seasoned

Post by Mongo » May 16th, 2015, 4:21 pm

Sorry to be late getting back to you. Been busy since getting home from our extended trip to Fla. and Calif.

The reference to the trigger (index) finger is on page #23, #5 in the 8th edition of the CFDA rulebook.

Look forward to seeing ya soon!

We ride for the brand!

CFDA Life #57
The Irishman
Seasoned

Post by The Irishman » May 17th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Mongo,

I know and have read that section which we referred to, Item #5 only states that a finger through the trigger guard shall be the reference point on how far forward on the SIDE OF THE LEG the holster can be.

"Positioning The Holster Anywhere Other Than The Side Of The Leg Is Not Allowed"

How does this statement allow the shooter to have the holster on the front of the leg

Where in the rule book allows the shooter to move the holster over onto the front of the leg based on the trigger guard position ? the rule states just the opposite, the holster can only be on the side of the leg, this is stated on page #16 Holster Section, Page #23 Contestant Technical Rules Item #5 also stated on page #29 CFDA Hand Judging Procedures, Item P In Bold Black Letters, the members that asked me as an RO to look into this clarification, the rule book clearly states the side of the leg ONLY......There is nothing stated in the rule book that allows the shooter to bend and tie the holster over the front of the leg based on a finger through the trigger guard, the rule book states just the opposite...... no place in the rule book states that the holster can be placed anywhere on the shooter as long as a finger through the trigger guard is at or behind seam of the pants,side of shooters leg if there is no seams or a dress..........

The Irishman
Mongo
Seasoned

Post by Mongo » May 18th, 2015, 7:46 am

As for additional clarification when I look at a leg I consider the shin and kneecap to be on the front of the leg and the seam of a pair of jeans to be on the side of the leg. The picture you included appears to show a legal holster with a forward can't worn on the side of the leg with the bottom of the boot tied down near the front pocket.

My final comment on this topic is that if you believe a shooter is wearing their holster in an illegal position then ask them to move it based.on the facts stated in this discussion.

We ride for the brand!

CFDA Life #57

Return to “CFDA Range Officer Forum”