Fragmented Wax Bullets

This is a discussion page set up for CFDA Certified Range Officers and those interested in attending or setting up a CFDA Range Officer Course.
Hankerin Hank
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: Old Pueblo Gunfighte

Fragmented Wax Bullets

Post by Hankerin Hank » December 18th, 2013, 9:47 pm

I have a question about fragmented bullets. At our last practice match, I had a wax bullet fragment into at least three pieces. My eye caught one fragment hit off the target. My hand judge saw a hit on the target and there was a mark in the grease but no time was recorded. The other shooter had a hit with a time recorded. I was given the opportunity to take another shot and my opponent was given the option to keep his time or join me in the reshoot.

In my mind, I missed the target and opted to take a no hit no time instead of taking another shot. I just would not have felt right about taking another shot when I saw a hit off target. I might have felt differently had all the pieces hit the target.

If this were to happen in a class A or B match, what would be the proper action to take as Range Officer?

Hank

Old Pueblo Gunfighters, Tucson AZ
http://www.OldPuebloGunfighters.com
CFDA #L2954
NRA Life Member #7777459
Mongo
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: San Juan Shootists

Re: Fragmented Wax Bullets

Post by Mongo » December 19th, 2013, 9:58 am

Gunslinger’s Guidelines 7th edition (current edition)
page 17

… All ammunition in Titled Matches must be supplied by the host …

"Alibi For Host Supplied Ammunition
If the host is supplying ammunition, the shooter should expect it to function properly. The host will designate an official six-gun with a factory spring action. If a round fails to detonate in a shooter’s gun and their opponent has hit their target, the round will be tested, with one hammer fall, in the official gun. If it fires in the official gun, the score will be recorded as a NT (most likely a half-cock); If it fails to fire, or if the round is determined to be otherwise defective by match officials, the shooter will be granted a re-shoot. The shooter’s opponent will be given a choice to re-shoot the shot or keep their hit. If the opponent chooses to keep their hit, the shooter with the malfunctioning round will be given one shot to either, win, tie or lose the round. The opponent’s choice is final.

If in the opinion of the Range Master after consulting with the Hand Judges that the round was defective i.e. fractured bullet, no powder, etc.; then the above paragraph will also apply.

Note: A contestant who fires a backup round does not sacrifice their right to challenge a defective round that previously failed.
Note: Shooters are responsible for checking rounds before loading them into their guns, therefore high primers, backwards primers or any other defect that could be detected with a visual inspection or spin checking for high-primers will not be granted an alibi."

Hope that helps.

I like talking to myself cause I always get the answer I want from Me!

We ride for the brand!

CFDA Life #57
US Marshal San Juan Shootists
email:sanjuanshootists@hotmail.com
Visit us at http://www.sanjuanshootists.com
Hankerin Hank
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: Old Pueblo Gunfighte

Post by Hankerin Hank » December 19th, 2013, 7:19 pm

That's perfect. Thank you very much Mongo!

Hankerin' Hank

Old Pueblo Gunfighters, Tucson AZ
http://www.OldPuebloGunfighters.com
CFDA #L2954
NRA Life Member #7777459
Noah Chance
Seasoned
Sanctioned Club: azGunslingers

Post by Noah Chance » December 26th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Mongo, would'nt the answer to his question be found on page 20 #5 under Timer malfunction procedure ?? TIMER MALFUNCTION PROCEDURE 1. If both targets are hit and there are no recorded times and two Judges cannot clearly identify the first hit, it will
be regarded as a “No Contest,” and the shooters will re-shoot. 2. If both targets are hit and there are no recorded times and two Judges can agree which shooter obviously hit first, that shooter will be awarded the winning HIT, with no time. 3. If only one target is hit and there is no recorded time, the shooter will be awarded a HIT, with no time. 4. If both targets are clearly hit and there is only one recorded time and two judges cannot clearly identify the first hit, the shooter with no time will be awarded a re-shoot. The opponent will be given a choice to re-shoot the shot or keep their hit. If the opponent chooses to keep their hit, the shooter awarded the re-shoot will be given one shot to win, tie or lose the round. The opponent’s choice is final. 5. All hits must be verified visually by the Judges, if there is a recorded time without the target being clearly hit on the front surface and leaving a mark on the grease, then the shooter will be scored a miss (NT). (Fractured bullets do count as long as they hit the front surface with enough force to record a hit on the timer.) Note: In the case of bullet fracturing, clean the barrel before the next round. If the problem persists, the shooter will be required to change equipment, unless defective ammunition is determined to be the cause. 6. Under no scenario will a shooter ever fire a shot without an opponent or a time to compete against. since he sez it was a fractured bullet hit??? ...Just asking ,Noah

Return to “CFDA Range Officer Forum”